Welcome to the Shacklewell Mutual Aid newsletter. We’ll send these occasionally updating you about what we are doing and how you can get involved:
- Join the next meeting to volunteer for new projects
- Black Lives Matter: Weekly Meetings and Resources
Mutual aid connects neighbours who need support in the COVID-19 crisis with neighbours who want to volunteer. We’re helping people in and around the Shacklewell ward in Hackney, East London. You can find out more on our website at www.shacklewell.uk
1. Meeting to agree new projects – Thursday 9 July at 6pm
We’re going to have a meeting to decide on some new projects as lockdown is eased. We’ve built a network of people willing to help neighbours but how can we take that beyond shopping and collecting prescriptions for people who are self isolating?
If you are interested in helping the local community, then come to the meeting to talk about what you’d be up for doing.
If you have any ideas for how mutual aid could do, how we could reach out or anything else please email or join the WhatsApp chat group and send them for discussion. All ideas and suggestions for things you can do are welcome.
Here are the working groups we were thinking of having – get in touch if you would like to join one:
Community Links: with other mutual aid groups, charities, organisations, TRAs and social prescribers
Requests: dispatch and request management
Communications: sharing information within our ward
Active citizenship and collective action
Or just come along to the open meeting:
Time: Thursday 9 July, 18:00
Meeting ID: 815 6150 1974
2. Black Lives Matter
Black Lives Matter Hackney is running a community circle every Thursday at 7pm near the basketball courts on Hackney Downs. Meet your neighbours, exchange ideas and create social change!
Their instagram is www.instagram.com/hackney_community
- Resource library (UK focus)
- Resource library (US focus)
- Civil rights toolkit
- Links to petitions, places to donate and lots more
- Petition to suspend UK exports of tear gas, rubber bullets and riot shields to the USA
- Petition to make white privilege and systemic racism a compulsory part of the British education
- Also to help tackle race inequality in the UK labour market/workplace, you can encourage your employer to sign the Race at Work Charter.
- You can also read/share BitC’s factsheet on ethnicity and C19 with your employer.
If you want to get involved or have an item for the newsletter then please get in touch on the WhatsApp group or by email. We hold zoom video calls regularly which everyone is very welcome to join. Find out more on www.shacklewell.uk